Welcome to my Blog with various musings on my home town, St. Leonards on Sea, together with my various interests and obsessions including Ceramics, Art, Literature and Music and all other things under the sun. I have a contact page if you would like to get in touch. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram
- The Hastings VariationThe Story of how Hastings became the Chess Capital of the UK
- Rocks in the LandscapeThe story of a unique garden with a history involving Pennsylvania, ancient rocks and a cast of poets , writers and artists.
- The Wreck of the AmsterdamThe story of the tragic voyage of the Dutch cargo ship ‘The Amsterdam’ and its subsequent shipwreck on Bulverhythe Beach in 1749.
- The Strange Tale of Whistler’s MotherHow the subject of one of the World’s best known paintings, spent the last few years of her life in Hastings
- Borderlands – Between Strand and SeaThese are the borderlands between strand and sea, a constantly changing landscape of endless possibilities.
- The Ghosts of Lamb HouseThe Ghosts of Lamb House in the Medieval Town of Rye
- The Boy who Loved the SeaWhen Paula Rego brought her stories to Hastings
- The Crumbling Cliffs of St. Leonards (and other tales)The story of the Unstable cliffs of West St. Leonards
- Pre-Raphaelites at the SeasideThe story of how the Pre-Raphaelite artists were inspired by Hastings and the surrounding countryside.
- Secret Hastings – A Tale of Two Churches (Part 2)Secret Hastings – The story of Hasting’s Oldest church, now a picturesque ruin.
- A Visit to the Temple of ArtA flying visit to the National Gallery in London
- Ode to the SeagullHow I learnt to know and love Seagulls
- Secret Hastings – A Tale of Two Churches (Part 1)Secret Hastings – A hidden Church in a wood and a graveyard full of stories
- The Priest Who Loved FossilsHow Hastings inspired Teilhard de Chardin in his spiritual quest
- Tunnel Vision – The Genius of Marc BrunelThe Extraordinary life of Marc Brunel and the construction of the Thames Tunnel
- A Rebel in the FamilyThe life of Lewis Valentine, Welsh Patriot and Pacifist
- Sacrifice in a BogThe story of Tollund Man and the Bog bodies of Denmark
- Leftovers – The Art of Tal RThe World of the Danish artist Tal R and his 2019 Exhibition in Hastings Contemporary
- My Family and Nottingham LaceA pilgrimage back into my Father’s Family and Nottingham Lace
- Ritual and the MundaneResilience and Survival in the Time of Pandemic
- The Town that loves to PartyA celebration of the festivals of my adopted town and its ‘Joie de Vivre’
- Pandemic BluesBlues Music in the early 20th century and how it dealt with Disease and pandemics
- A Jewel in Rural KentA hidden Chagall masterpiece in rural Kent
- Edith’s StoryThe tragic story of Edith Swan-Neck and the death of Harold in 1066
- Simple Pleasures – Rye PotteryHow I came to love 1950’s Rye Pottery
- An Iconic Church in St LeonardsAn article on St. Leonards iconic modernist gothic church designed by Giles Gilbert Scott
Subscribe in order to receive my latest posts